World première recordings of works by John Tavener, Arvo Pärt, Valentin Silvestrov and Alexander Knaifel sit alongside pieces by Henryk Górecki and John Cage on the first recording from a new Irish label operated by noted concert promoters Louth Contemporary Music Society. All of these very popular contemporary composers have in various ways been deeply influenced by profound spiritual, religious or cultural encounters, and the disc celebrates them in a moving, magical programme. ‘A Place Between’ intersperses – to wonderful effect – beautiful works for string quartet (Silvestrov’s meditative Ikon, Tavener’s deeply moving Ikon of Joy/Sorrow, Pärt’s reflective Da Pacem Domine) with two solo piano works (Pärt’s uplifting Hymn to a Great City, and Cage’s melodic and expressive In a Landscape). Górecki’s memorial for Michael Vyner, Good Night and Knaifel’s mystical O Heavenly King both feature the haunting voice of soprano Patricia Rozario. Silvestrov’s 25.X.1893 lullaby is a melancholic and lyrical piece for violin and piano. Besides the renowned soprano Patricia Rozario, the other artists – all Irish – are the Callino Quartet, pianist Michael McHale (winner of the Terence Judd/Hallé Award 2009), violinist Ioana Petcu-Colan, flautist Vourneen Ryan and percussionist Stephen Kelly. Recorded in the acoustically superb historic setting of St. Peter’s Church of Ireland in Drogheda, the mixing, mastering and editing were carried out in the state-of-the-art Rainbow Studios in Oslo.
1. John Tavener: Ikon of Joy and Sorrow (premiere recording)
2. Arvo Pärt: Hymn to a Great City, for two pianos
3. Alexander Knaifel: O Heavenly King (premiere recording)
4. Valentin Silvestrov: Ikon (premiere recording)
5. Valentin Silvestrov: 05.X.1893 … P.I.Tchaikovsky No 2 – Lullaby
6. Arvo Pärt: Da Pacem Domine (premiere recording of string quartet version)
7. Henryk Górecki: Good Night, Op 63 I Lento (Adagio)- Tranquillo
8. Henryk Górecki: Good Night, Op 63 II. Lento tranquillissimo
9. Henryk Górecki: Good Night, Op 63 III. Lento- largo: dolcissimo-cantabalissimo
10. John Cage: In a Landscape
There are no reviews yet.